What are NLP techniques for goal setting success? Are there any NLP goal setting techniques? Or can we use NLP techniques for goal setting success?
NLP can help you to set better goals and stick to them. Many NLP techniques can be used for goal setting.
NLP well formed outcomes are well known NLP technique for goal setting success, and you can also use the NLP timeline and Walt Disney pattern to set goals.
For the purposes of NLP techniques for goal setting success blog, I will explain these three techniques briefly.
NLP well-formed outcomes
NLP’s well-formed outcome process aims to answer the most nagging question, “What do you really want?”
It is a structured process where you need to think about your goal with the given checklist.
Steps in NLP well-formed outcomes as NLP techniques for goal setting success.
1 – Create specific and positive outcomes.
2- Focus on your ability
3- Context or Specific
4- Add NLP Representational systems / sensory modalities
5 – Set Actionable objectives
6 – Support and resources.
7 – Perform an ecology check.
8 – Set up Milestones
9 – Write down your goals.
In this process, you need to identify positive outcomes while focusing on your ability, and goals should be contextual and actionable.
I find this process well structured for goal setting as it covers all aspects of it, you need to follow the steps, and by the end of the process, you have your goals ready.
You can read my detailed blog on well formed outcomes, where I have shared the process in detail, and you also get a free NLP goal worksheet to download.
Setting goals with Timeline
Timeline is a vast concept widely used for therapy and coaching by NLP practitioners.
Covering the whole concept will not be possible for this blog on NLP techniques for goal setting success.
However, I will share the details required enough for setting goals using the Timeline.
As per the Timeline, we set our past and future memory in a line of sight. Let me give some examples.
Think of something you did last week? Can you see that?
Think of something you did last month? Can you see that?
Think of something you did last year? Can you see that?
These questions are about your past, and I hope you will be able to see them formed in a line. It can be at the back of your head or can be on the left side.
Think of something you want to do next week? Can you see that?
Think of something you want to do next month? Can you see that?
Think of something you want to do next year? Can you see that?
These questions are about your future, and they are also in line but opposite to past memories.
Interestingly you can now observe that you can form a straight line between your farthest past memory to most distant future memory. This straight line is your Timeline.
Now, let’s set goals with the Timeline as NLP techniques for goal setting success.
- Think of something you want to achieve in your future could be anything related to your career, fitness, relationship, or personal development.
- Once you are able to see, feel and hear what you want, try to create a picture of it.
- See yourself in that picture, see yourself achieving goals. Then, try to see around yourself what you are able to see when you achieve your goal, feel what you will feel, and listen to what you will listen to when you achieve your goal.
- Now float outside of your body and imagine you can see your Timeline. Hold on to the picture of you achieving goals and move on to your Timeline. See the future time and palace the picture where you want to achieve your goal.
- As you set this picture on a future timeline, you can see all events and action changes to achieve this goal in the future.
- Now, float back to the present moment and take a deep relaxing breath.
Walt Disney pattern on goal setting
Walt Disney pattern for goal setting is a fantastic NLP strategy tool and can be used as an NLP technique for goal setting success.
In this process, you will think about goals from different perspectives, like dreamer, realistic, and critic.
It is also a better NLP technique for goal setting success as it takes into account different perspectives and opens our view. It may also give us more options to consider while setting goals.
The process of the Walt Disney pattern for goal setting is straightforward. First, you create four spots on the floor—normal position, Realistic, Dreamer, and Critic.
Normal position: This position will state the goals you want to have.
Dreamer: This position will assume or dream that you have already achieved your goal and will be dreaming about it.
Realistic: This position will see the process as a third person without getting attached to another position.
Critic: This position will criticize your goal/dream and help you find what you should do instead or how you can achieve the goal?
- Stand in a dreamer position and see the dream that you have achieved the goal. Then, try to see, feel, and listen to things that would happen around you once you achieve your goals.
- Now move to a realistic position try to see what you saw in the dreamer position in the third person. This is the person who is able to see you achieve goals.
- Now move to the critic position, where you will try to observe why you can’t achieve this goal, try to see missing links, and what resources are needed.
- Come back to Dreamer Position and answer the critic and dream again.
- Come back to Realist Position and Evaluate the answer of Dreamer position positively.
- Come back to the Critic position and find missing elements in answers by Dream and Realist.
These are the three NLP techniques for goal setting success, and you can use any of them today.
Tips for NLP techniques for goal setting success
You can use any of the NLP techniques for goal setting success, but there are some tips to keep in mind while setting goals with NLP.
- The goal selected should be positive. It must not be aimed to harm anyone.
- You must use NLP representational system and submodalities in detail while setting your goals, and You must be happy when you achieve goals. To know that beforehand, you need to look into your preferred system.
- Always set actionable goals, not wishful thinking, understand yourself better, and know your motivation by studying NLP meta programs.
- Understand what your strategy is? You can see NLP strategies for more details.
- Always perform an ecology check and check for congruence for the goals selected.
As I shared, there are many NLP techniques for goal setting success, and you can use any of the three techniques mentioned here.
Reading NLP techniques is fun and practicing them is even more fun, but we need NLP scripts while applying these NLP techniques.
I have created a small book of NLP scripts of the 7 most used NLP techniques. You can use them in your practice for only $17. You can buy the book from here. Buy NLP scripts