NLP belief change
NLP belief change is not a standalone process but there are many processes. We all have beliefs, some work in our favor and some not. The beliefs which become a hurdle for us are limiting beliefs, like “I can not quit smoking.”
If you observe closely, our all behaviors are based on some or the other kind of beliefs. For example, If you believe you can not do something, let’s say “I can not wake up early in the morning.” even though you can, you will not.
Remember we have learned about generalization in the NLP communication model. Belief is nothing but a working generalization. A generalization that stands true over a period of time becomes our belief.
This means if a belief that works for you may not work for others. It also means your belief can be different from reality itself.
NLP belief change techniques
There are many NLP belief change techniques in NLP, but I am mentioning the NLP belief change techniques that have worked for me.
The walking belief change process
Robert Dilts had originated the walking belief change process, and by far it is the most effective NLP belief change technique.
This process will require you to walk, so make sure you have enough space.
1. Create six spots on the floor, like current belief, open to doubts, Collection of old beliefs, preferred beliefs, open to belief and The sacred place.
Current belief – The belief you want to change, Self limiting belief.
Open to doubts – The statement with “may be” in it, or have doubt on the established belief.
Collection of old beliefs – these are similar or complementary to your limiting beliefs.
Preferred beliefs – The belief you would like to have instead of limiting belief.
Open to beliefs – The alternate belief with “may be” but in positive terms.
The sacred place – The absolute truth, which can not be changed.
2.Make sure these spots are clockwise.
3. Identify a limiting belief that you want to use in the walking belief change process.
4. Select the belief which you would rather wish to believe instead of limiting belief. This will be your preferred belief.
5. Now, step into each spot and have anchors set relevant to the description of the spot. While you step into each spot think and feel like that spot. Like in, open to doubts, I may not need to do this….. Explore all modalities for a better experience. Make sure to break the state after each spot.
6.Now, the process begins. Step into the current belief spot and access the limiting belief to the full extent of fire the anchor of this spot. After that, slowly walk into Open to doubt spot- convert the limiting belief into doubt. Take this doubted belief and walk into a collection of old beliefs, physically put this limiting belief along with other beliefs.
7. Now gently step into the preferred belief spot and explore what you want to believe instead of limiting belief. Slowly walk with your preferred belief to the open to belief spot. Here you have to strengthen the preferred belief. And lastly, walk with this preferred belief to The sacred place.
8. At the sacred place allow your new belief to become even stronger, as it becomes the truth for you.
9.Now with this sacred, preferred belief walk into the current belief and confirm it as a new belief to make the change solidify hop between the sacred place and current belief quite a few times. Please remember to feel the preferred belief as something you currently believe.
10.Future pace, check the current belief, and verify how different you feel.
The walking belief change process may sound complicated but if you have practiced, Anchoring well enough you can make it happen easily.
I prefer to note down all experiences somewhere beforehand than perform it, kinaesthetically this will make sure you do not miss any step.
NLP belief change technique – The other NLP belief change technique is the submodalities belief change process. If you have not read my post on NLP submodalities and elicitation of submodalities, Please refer to that afterward.
Submodalities belief change process
- Select the limiting belief you want to change. Elicit all submodalities in detail.
- Now Imagine, the selected limiting belief is not true anymore. Elicit the submodalities of this state.
- Compare both elicited submodalities and see the difference.
- Map across submodalities of limiting belief to no longer limiting belief. Find the driver submodalities.
- Now think of some other belief which is true for you? Elicit the submodalities of this state.
- Now think of your preferred belief which you want to have instead of that #1 limiting belief.
- Compare step #5 and Step #6 elicited submodalities, check for the difference.
- Do a map across from Step#6 belief to Step # 5. You have to here map across from the belief which is true for you to the belief which you will prefer to have.
- Test: What is your belief now? If you see positive change keep it, if nor repeat the process.
You can select the four beliefs beforehand and make a note. This has helped me to complete the submodalities belief change process smoothly and with positive results.
The last NLP belief change technique, I would like to share is reimprinting. This so far one of the most effective NLP belief change techniques.
NLP reimprinting is shared and developed by Robert Dilts. This NLP belief change technique also requires you to walk. Please make sure you have an open place, where you can walk in a straight line.
- Stand in one place, ideally, the center of the room, Imagine as it is your present state. At your back, you have your past and in front, you have your future.
- While standing in your present state, explore the limiting belief you wish to change. Completely associate with this limiting belief.
- Now look back at past events where you have faced this limiting belief, can you find a spot where this limiting belief has impacted most. Look further down the line and see all relevant events related to that limiting belief.
- Now step down from the timeline, and stand adjacent to the spot where it all began.
- See that event more closely and ask, “what purpose this limiting belief served at that moment?” Also, try to see other people involved in that event.
- Try to see and feel what it meant for other people by that event.
- Associate with each person involved in the event and ask what all resources they needed to have the same outcome without having this limiting belief?
- Find resources in your timeline and provide your old oneself with this new set of resources.
- Do this for every important participant in that event. Take resources and provide to your old oneself.
- Now, Finally, stand on the spot on the timeline where all it begins. The only difference now is you have all the resources required to change the belief.
- Now make the changes. See, hear, and feel the changes and the new behavior in all old events.
- Stand in the present state and see your future self behaving with a new set of beliefs in the same kind of events.
This process can not be done yourself, you will need guidance from a friend or preferably a certified NLP practitioner. However, You can still try to do this on yourself.
Make sure you have enough space to walk on the timeline. There should not be other people or things on the timeline, ideally not in a viewing span of the subject. Otherwise, those persons or things will get associated with limiting beliefs.
Reading NLP techniques is fun and practicing them is even more fun, but we need NLP scripts while applying these NLP techniques.
I have created a small book of NLP scripts of the 7 most used NLP techniques. You can use them in your practice for only $17. You can buy the book from here. Buy NLP scripts
NLP belief change script
If you have read my post on NLP submodalities, you will know about the submodalities checklist, you will need the checklist to elicit the submodalities in all processes. This process also needs one.
Imagine the limiting belief you wish to change. Once you are able to remember it, try to see what you saw, listen to what you heard and feel what you felt. (elicit the submodalities here)Now think of some other belief which is no longer true for you? For example tooth fairy or other those beliefs which we used to believe, but no longer believe them now. Try to see what you saw, listen to what you heard, or feel what you felt. (elicit the submodalities here)
Now identify the difference between these two submodalities and map across from limiting belief to the belief which is no longer true?
Check: how do you think about limiting belief now?
Can you think of the belief which is absolutely true for you? Or may be for everyone. Like the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Think about the belief that is true for you. Try to see what you saw, listen to what you heard, and feel what you felt. (Elicit submodalities here)
Think of the belief which is exactly opposite to the limiting belief. Try to create an image, see what you saw, listen to what you heard, and feel what you felt. (Elicit submodalities here)
Now finally, think of the belief which you want to have instead of limiting belief. See what you saw, listen to what you heard, and feel what you felt. ( Elicit submodalities)
Find the drive submodalities and map across from desired belief to absolutely true beliefs.
Check: now what do you believe? Can you see the change? If it is positive, please keep it.
This script is based on the NLP belief change technique of the submodality belief change process. You can use it to make changes as per your need.
There are many other NLP belief change techniques you can try, these three NLP belief change techniques are what have worked for me.
Read my other post